Inside Coronation Street star Amanda Barrie’s life 20 years after leaving soap

What happened to Alma in Coronation Street and where is Amanda Barrie now?

Fans of Coronation Street will be familiar with Amanda Barrie because she appeared in the program approximately 20 years ago.

The star, though, has more recently played a regular part in the BBC drama Casualty.

What other roles has Amanda Barrie played? Who is she? This is what we do know:

How old is Amanda Barrie?

Lancashire is the place of origin for 87-year-old Amanda Barrie.

She studied at St Anne’s College before completing her training at the Old Vic Theatre School in Bristol after attending the Arts Educational School in London.

Who did Amanda play in Coronation Street?

From 1981 until 2001, Amanda Barrie portrayed Alma Halliwell.

Mike Baldwin’s wife, Alma, was the proprietor of Jim’s Café on Rosamund Street.

She had a difficult beginning to her stay on the program because her first husband, Jim Sedgewick, left her for the florist and they split up in 1982.

After experiencing financial difficulties, the character sold Gail (Helen Worth) 40% of the company before entirely walking away and selling the remaining 60% to Roy (David Neilson) in 1997.

When Alma tragically passed away in 2001, her life in Weatherfield came to an end after nearly 20 years on the show.

At the age of 55, the protagonist received a cervical cancer diagnosis.

What else has Amanda Barrie been in?

Amanda Barrie has made numerous TV appearances, including in the episode of Casualty where she played a patient who came into the ED from home.

She also acted as Cleopatra and Anthea in the two Carry On movies, and from 2003 to 2006, she played Beverley Tull in the Bad Girls movie.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *